Birthdays, Bailando, Bilbao & Boca Boca

September 6th, 2009 ajmcgr11

Seeing as academics are most important, I’ll talk about them first and then get to the less interesting stuff afterwards. Basically all I wanted to tell you all is that we finished our 2 week intensive language course after taking a “final exam” on Thursday. One cannot say the word “exam” to HC students without them going into massive panic mode. That’s how traumatized we are. Needless to say, we all did fine. I can’t believe I’m saying this already but this coming week is our last week of Orientation in Pamplona and we’ll be focusing less on language and more on culture. It’s definitely gonna be weird not being with the whole group of HC students but I’m definitely ready to meet my new “madre” and finally stop living out of my bags.

Moving on, this week was yet again action-packed. On Thursday, the whole group went to Rumba lessons together and we got to show off how uncoordinated and talentless we are at dancing. Just kidding guys. We had a lot of fun though and after our lesson the teachers did a traditional Flamenco dance for us. Later that night was Joey C’s 21st birthday countdown so the group went out and helped him celebrate. Obviously we couldn’t pass on a chance to show off our newly-realized Rumba skills. We found the perfect place, a local disco pub called Boca Boca which  in english means “Mouth Mouth”. Why, you ask? Great question. I’ve learned to just not ask about certain things. One of our Australian friends from the hostel in San Sebastian, Torin, came to hang out with us in Pamplona for a couple nights, too so it was cool to see him again and show him around our digs.

Finally, the group went on an excursion to Bilbao for the day on Saturday and we got to visit the crazy Guggenheim Art Museum. There were definitely some trippy exhibits in that place. For the less-cultured readers, the Guggenheim muesum displays modern art in all of its forms–you could probably sneeze into a tissue and they’d hang it up somewhere in there. The architecture of the building is amazing, though; half of the experience is seeing the unique structures as you enter. The city of Bilbao was nice to see, too. There wasn’t much happening when we got there because we arrived during prime siesta hours but we got tapas in a few bars, took pics around the Old City and popped in and out of stores. In all, it was a pretty nice day.

That’s all for this week. The next time you hear from me I’ll finally be in Palma so I’ll have a lot of details and stories about my travels.

P.S. baby cheets, the vision, the dancer/the dreamer, la loba; so…is it back on with Walter?; Erica’s very own paparazzo; 309 takin a taxi to class, por que?; La Gran Muralla…not bad, right?