2 weeks left…

May 28th, 2010 ajmcgr11

Today I emerged from underneath my rock where I’ve apparently been since March and my first priority was to update my blog! Haha. Ok, so I’m not very good at the updating but I would like to briefly share what I’ve been up to for the past 2 or so months:

• Trip to Berlin with my friend Maura to see the Cranberries in concert: awesome time and made some great German friends in our hostel who also went to the concert
  • Visit from my family during Easter week at the beginning of April: we had fun family times staying at the Marriott, exploring Palma and the rest of Mallorca, and tasting new foreign foods like paella…mmmm, right mom?
  • My last trip of my Junior study abroad experience to London & Norwich, England, at the end of April: saw pretty much all there was to see in London in a day thanks to our day metro pass and had a great time with the group
  • Outing to our first nude beach, Es Trenc, which is one of the most beautiful and secluded beaches on the island. No, we didn’t take anything off (Akon anyone?) but I now know that wrinkles occur in many other areas than just the forehead…thank you old people.
  • I had a week straight of 4 hour-long Chemistry labs at the beginning of May…in Spanish…I became a pro at smiling and nodding and pretending to know what I was doing. Thankfully I had a genius lab partner. Gracias Sabrina!
  • Survival of Hell week(s) this past week and finally completing all of my exams, papers, presentations and class outings, thus bringing my Junior academic year TO AN END! Between Monday and Friday of this week I literally had due 2 exams, 2 extensive papers, and 2 presentations…don’t even get me started on the 21 page chemistry paper I finished the week before! Roll on summer and Senior Year!

And that brings me up to today Friday, the 28th of May, Graduation Day for the HC seniors of the class of 2010. It’s so hard to believe that a year from now my friends and I will be walking across a stage and receiving our undergrad diplomas and going on to start our lives (or, if all goes according to plan, forgoing the start of our lives with more school). Who am I kidding, I can barely wrap my mind around leaving Palma this year, let alone contemplate graduation. This past Wednesday was our final dinner with all of the madres, students and directors gathering for a celebratory meal to top off the year. I guess you could say that it started to hit me when all of the cameras were flashing in our eyes that our Palma family would soon be leaving our paradise and dispersing to our separate corners to reunite with family and friends and ultimately to return to reality. But then again, what I felt at that dinner won’t compare in the least to what I will feel as I begin to pack up all of my belongings or as I say my final goodbye to Antonia, my madre, or as my last flight from the Palma airport takes off bound for home.

Ok, I really need to stop the sentimental stuff here cause I’ll just get even more depressed. I still have 2 weeks packed with beach time, island-exploring, concert-going (the Kooks on June 6th!) and, of course, food-eating! I’ll be sure to put up one last blog before I leave the island and, in true avid-Losty style, I’ll relate the outcome of my favorite show to my whole year abroad. Prepare to blow your mind. To close, here are a few photos from my past couple months.

Hasta pronto!