First Meet Down

October 15th, 2009 ajmcgr11

Hey peeps,

Sorry for the delay in updating. Time always seems to get away from me. Speaking of time, can you believe I´ve been in Spain for almost 2 months?The thought seems so weird to me. Anyway, last weekend was my first swim meet and it was actually a lot of fun! I woke up on Saturday morning at around 8 a.m. because Coach Marcelo told me to be at the pool at 8:45. I assumed that the meet would be started by about 10 and that I´d be done around lunch time. Of course, life couldn´t be that easy. We had a normal 2 hour practice before the start of our session! I had no clue! I got in the water around 9ish, assuming I´d be out in half an hour…then 11:15 rolled around and I was still swimming! It was definitely a smack in the face.

After practice there was about an hour of down time so I ate a bocadillo and listened to some pump up music. When the meet finally started, I was feeling pretty good. All I had to swim was 75 meters of backstroke, which is slightly weird because I´ve never done that in a meet before but I went along with it. Right before my heat came up, some of the HC girls came to cheer me on which I was pumped about. Gracias chicas. As I went in front of my lane, I had a minor panic attack because I realized that I had no clue what the starter was gonna say for ¨Take you mark¨….apparently he just says ¨preparados¨ like Marcelo had been saying for the past month in practice. Whatever, don´t judge. I wanted to be sure I didn´t make a fool of myself. The race went fine, minus the fact that my speedo started falling down a little. I came in third. Fun was had. I´m officially an international swimmer.

Anyway, I´ll update again soon. Next week is Switzerland!!! Yeah! Can´t wait for traveling.

Hasta pronto.