Finally in Palma!

September 13th, 2009 ajmcgr11

Hola,

So I finally made it to Palma! The train ride to Barcelona absolutely sucked. Imagine the same ride from Madrid to Pamplona only packed with 5x more people. I ended up sitting on a step in a compartment between cars where the lavatories are because I had to watch 2 bags because there was no room to put them in the overhead storage. For 4 hours. I lucked out at the airport though because none of my bags were overweight and I didn´t have to pay any charges for my extra bag because the girl checking me in was new and stupid and didn´t know that she was supposed to charge me. All the other girls paid between €60-€90 in fees. And 2 of the other girls´ ticket reservations were lost so they had to pay for another ticket on a later flight. Some one was looking out for me.

Anyway, Palma is incredible. It has a unique mix of new and old aspects and life here moves much slower than on main-land Spain. My ¨madre¨ Antonia is great, too. We´re all ready great friends. And her house is awesome. I get my own room and bathroom and I now have a cat named Blanc -my first legit pet…ever. We went to the beach yesterday and the weather was perfect: not too hot, a slight breeze and the water was so refreshing…and crystal clear. And I only used Factor 8 sun screen and I didn´t get burnt at all….somehow. Life is good.

One last story before I go. Today, some of the HC girls and I were sitting down in one of the many Plazas just taking in the scenery when all of a sudden, not 10 feet away from us, I saw a man reach into a girl´s bag as she was texting on her phone. I immediately yelled ¨Hey!!¨and got the girl´s attention and I proceeded to yell at the guy, who became completely flustered and didn´t know what to do. Luckily, the guy didn´t get anything from her and I guess I´m a hero now. No big deal.

Well, I´ll post again soon once I get a little more settled into my new home. Talk to you all soon!