Awaiting paradise…

August 11th, 2009 ajmcgr11

Hey future loyal followers,

My name is Aidan McGrath, I’m a rising junior Spanish major from Quincy, MA, and once you’re done reading this post you’ll probably be really jealous of me. That is, unless you’re completely opposed to living your life in an island paradise. Anyone who detests feelings of joy, happiness or utter contentment should probably just stop reading. Now, if you couldn’t tell from the context clues which I conveniently bolded for you all, I will be studying abroad this year on the island of Mallorca, part of the vibrant, culturally-rich country of Spain. Cue envy.

But I still have 10 days before I leave for my 3 week orientation in Pamplona and, I’ve gotta say, anticipation is building. I still have no suitcases, my credit card hasn’t come in the mail, work has yet again failed to send me my life savings and, oh yah, I haven’t spoken a word of Spanish in 3 months. Oh well. It’s all good. I just think about how I’ll soon be lying on a beach, eating paella and staring into the endless aquamarine of the Mediterranean and I’m immediately comforted.

While studying in Palma, the capital city of Mallorca, I plan on continuing my studies of Spanish language, literature and culture, as well as utilizing my passion for competetive swimming (shout out to HC Swim&Dive) to bridge the gap between myself and the native Mallorcans. So stay tuned and you can find out how my experience unfolds throughout the year.

Well, wish me luck! The next time you hear from me, I’ll be a fully-fledged Spaniard!

Hasta pronto!

Aidan